Friday, November 4, 2011

Today's Experiment!

What started out to just be me cutting up some left over chicken for lunch, turned into an experiment that I hope to be calling dinner tonight! Last week I took a small bottle of creamy Caesar dressing, poured it over some boneless skinless chicken breasts, and baked it for dinner. Served it with a side of broccoli. Everyone enjoyed it (well, not the broccoli part). Left overs were put away and today I decided to clean out the fridge in prep for the welcome home party we're having for Amber tomorrow. http://piecesofmyheartukraine.blogspot.com/

Anyway, I found the left over Caesar chicken and decided it would cut some up, put it in a tortilla, top is with cheese, nuke it, and have it for lunch. As I was chopping it up, I realized there was actually quite a lot left and started thinking about what I could make it into for another meal for the family. Two cans of organic "diced" tomatoes came to mind. These cans were purchased as part of an 8 pack that was buy 1 get 1 free at Costco a couple of weeks ago. I have the word diced in quotes above because the cans do not contain what I would call diced tomatoes, but rather large pieces of chopped tomatoes in some liquid. So much liquid actually, that soup comes to mind.

So, here's my experimental recipe and I put it into the crock pot in hopes that it will taste yummy for dinner tonight.

The Chicken Soup Experiment
  • 2 - large boneless skinless chicken breasts 
    • (pre-cooked with creamy Caesar dressing as described above)
  • 2 - 8oz cans del monte organic diced tomatoes 
    • (available in 8pk @ Costco)
  • 2 - 8oz cans filled with water
  • 2 packets chicken seasoning 
    • (per Mary's recommendation, saved from top-ramen noodle packets that I used the noodles but not the seasonings)
  • 1/8 cup - freeze dried chopped onion
  • 1 TBSP crushed garlic
  • 1 TBSP dried parsley
  • 1 tsp each dried spices 
    • basil, thyme, oregano, cilantro 
    • (you pick what you like, I used them all)  
  •  salt & pepper, as desired
  • pinch of crushed red peppers
Cut cooked chicken to desired size. Empty 2 cans of the tomatoes into stock pot or crock pot. Fill both cans with water and combine into the soup mixture. Add spices as desired. Add chicken. Cook until desired temp and serve with side of rolls.

I'll let you know how it turns out! :)

1 comment:

  1. Soup got a 10 from Dad and a 0 from the kids! Not sure how to count my success??! :)

    ReplyDelete