Thursday, March 24, 2011

Mustard Pork Stir Fry and New Dishes!

Mustard Pork Stir Fry
This is one of Mary's recipes that can be used in a variety of ways after you cook the pork, so depending on your ability to pre-plan or what ingredients you have in the house, you'll have a meal out of this! I did not have dijon mustard, but regular mustard worked just fine and probably had less bite to it - I'm not a big dijon fan. The sauce was pretty simple, other than I didn't have the beef broth, so I had to make it with bullion cubes, which requires the use of very hot water. After I created this piece, I read the rest of the instructions, which said "quickly whisk together ingredients before the broth gets warm" ooppps! Oh well, I guess we'll let that cool down for a while.

After I cooked the meat, I decided there wasn't enough meat for the large hoagie rolls I bought to make a decent sandwich, so I opt'd for expanding the recipe to make a more robust meal. The original recipe calls for 1 onion sliced and mixed in. I also added a pack of frozen mixed veggies ... peppers, corn, and broccoli. She also states in the instructions that this can be served over rice or noodles rather than sandwiches. I had some top ramen, so I made two packs and then just mixed everything together to blend the flavors and make a more casserole style dish. The hoagie rolls were turned into parmesean garlic bread for the side, which everyone gave a 10 rating!

The pork dish only earned an 8.2 total rating.


The new dishes
 

I am so excited about these new dishes. I had been asking for some since we had the extra kids for summer. We mostly used paper plates for ease of clean up and because the current dishes were rather thick and didn't really fit into the dishwasher very well. They also weren't as microwave friendly as I had hoped - they get really hot. So, after much searching, and my dear husband finding a great deal on these (like 60% off), we ordered 4 sets of 16 piece settings. We use 8 on a regular basis, easy, so 12 makes it two meals before I have to run the dishwasher and 1 extra set in case we break something. The black matches the more modern appliances we have had installed in the past 18 months.

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE these dishes Melissa! They look really modern (love black and white combination!)

    ReplyDelete