Sunday, August 28, 2011

What to do when ...

you don't really have all the right ingredients for taco night?

I have exactly 8 meals left to cook (counting tonight) before we depart for our big adventure in Ukraine! So, I am not buying any more food, other than what we need for breakfast and school snacks (the kids eat hot lunch at school). This means that I have to make do with whatever concoctions I can create at home ... and if you've known me for very long, or have been reading my blog, this is NOT my forte! :)Never being sure that your creation is going to work out is quite scary for a mom of 4 kids (soon to be 5, possibly 6)!
 
So, time for tacos, but I don't have lettuce, tomatoes, salsa, beans, etc. any of the normal things one would add to meat inside a tortilla to make a taco. But, leave it to me to try to create something worth eating!

1lb ground turkey
1lb ground beef
2 cups dry rice - make according to package directions (should make 3 cups when cooked)
Bell pepper (any color) *see note below


Seasoning:
1/4 cup taco seasoning (if using bulk or 1 packet)
1 tsp Mrs. Dash extra spicy 
1/4 cup freeze dried onions
1 TBSP freeze dried cilantro
Add to meat after cooking and add 1/2 cup water - simmer until water is absorbed

*Since I didn't have any fresh veggies or salsa, I added a package of chopped frozen green bell peppers. These had been on a special at the store and were $1/bag (10oz). I hate chopping things, so I stock up when these are on sale. They work great when I do a sweet and sour shrimp stir fry or for something like this as well, just to add some bulk and veggies to a meal. They also work well to add some bulk to any soup or chili dish.

I mixed everything together before putting it into tortillas and adding some Mexican blend cheese and sour cream (for those who wanted it).

Amanda said it was really yummy! :) I'll have left overs to each for my lunches for the next week . . . or maybe I'll serve it again tomorrow night so that's one less meal I have to cook . . . hmmmm :)

.


1 comment:

  1. Mellisa,

    You posted a request to get in contact with us. You can call us at 720-652-6553 or e-mail at heidiroge@yahoo.com & felixroge@yahoo.com

    We have known Karen for a few years,her apartment is a kilometer or two from her apartment, but uphill the last half of the way. We regularly walked up to the SDA (also where the soviener shops were) in less than 30 minutes. Actually, they friends tell me that she is in a very nice neighborhood of Kiev. Anyway, give us a yell should you need to do so.

    ReplyDelete